grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] auto-creating "include" and "exclude" groups based on group type hook

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] auto-creating "include" and "exclude" groups based on group type hook

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Loris Bennett <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] auto-creating "include" and "exclude" groups based on group type hook
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:49:34 -0500

Chris Hyzer wrote:
If it is only the naming people want to customize, then we can make
config params for it easily... I think this will end up being a
relatively simple hook, and if people want to customize the logic,
they can get the source, change it, install as new hook, and use that
one... and I will help them of course.

Though an easy coding task, many sites don't have such coders available (and I selfishly don't want you to supply that service to all comers). So config-only is better than easy-hook.

I agree with your way of naming / organizing, it is just a little
complicated for the loader (since in that case, it focuses around the
system of record group, but in the UI, it focuses around the overall
group). How about if a group is marked as "grouperIncludeExclude",
the following occurs:

I bet that when people want to use such a capability, there's a whole hierarchy of groups they want it done to, not just a single group. Is the loader amenable to a style of configuration in which a single set of declarations can apply to an entire hierarchy or system of groups? Eg, maybe it applies to all groups maintained from a specific SoR.

If the group name ends in _systemOfRecord [this might be only
applicable for loader... kind of obscure], e.g.
org123_systemOfRecord, then the following groups are created if they
don't already exist:

a. create group of org123_include
b. create group of org123_sorAndIncludes (have two members:
org123_systemOfRecord, and org123_include)
c. create group of org123_exclude
d. create group of org123 (composite of sorAndIncludes minus org123_exclude)

If the group name does not end in _systemOfRecord, e.g. org123, then the
following groups are created if they don't already exist:

a. create group of org123_include
b. create group of org123_systemOfRecord
c. create group of org123_sorAndIncludes (have two members: org123, and
org123_include)
d. create group of org123_exclude
e. change the group org123 to be a composite of sorAndIncludes minus
org123_exclude