grouper-dev - standardizing build procedures

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

standardizing build procedures

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Emily Eisbruch <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: standardizing build procedures
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:28:45 -0400

I have some ideas (hopefully the best of each project), and we can do to make all the projects more similar.  Some of these are action items, some are just best practices going forward…  we should probably discuss so I can clarify the ones that don’t speak for themselves…

- projects be named by what branch they are in so that multiple branches can be opened at once.  the HEAD branch should be _HEAD?

                - e.g. grouper_HEAD, grouper_v2_3

- projects should have .project files and .classpath files that are complete and dont need to be edited  (drivers?  can we commit them in different dir?)

- rename jars to be the name of the jar without version, and make sure the version is in the manifest (so cvs can version)

- grouper build lib shouldnt keep putting old libs in same dir, only grouper.jar.  We can backup grouper jars to a different dir (with date stamp)

- all jars should have source files inside if possible

- dont have source dirs inside other source dirs.  label all source dirs explicitly, not in

- dont have source dirs under libraries (cant see them as easily in eclipse)

- files that need changing should be .example.ext files, where ext is the files extension.  the ant script should copy to the right place and rename if not there

- project names should be lower case

- config resources should be like ldappc (maven) in the "conf" dir, or the resources dir for that src listing, e.g. src/main/resources.  Note, is "conf" a maven standard, why is conf != resources

- build file should be in base dir, and should be named build.properties (or build.example.properties).  The build file is not available at runtime, only at build time.

- there are too many config files out there, lets get rid of the Grouper src/conf config files, and not have build process which substitutes stuff.  Too many things to keep up to date

- there should be directories under lib, with libs in there, to keep things organized (see ws).  In grouper we have lib, and libAnt, but it should be lib/grouper and lib/ant.  (see WS for example)

- source dir should look like maven (see ldappc): e.g. src/main/java, src/test/resources

- result should go to "dist", and subdirs for whatever.  e.g. dist/grouper.jar

- "bin" dir for executable batch and shell scripts

- "contrib" dir for contributions that live in the source repository (e.g. UI)

- javadoc goes to "doc/api" dir.  Should we keep this in CVS so it will be real time, versioned, and branched?

  e.g. http://viewvc.internet2.edu/viewvc.py/grouper-ws/grouper-ws/doc/api/index.html?root=I2MI&view=co&pathrev=HEAD

- if j2ee web app, keep web files in "webapp"

- should we do like web services/ldappc where grouper jar is in the project, and there is a build script to build it in again, or get config info from somewhere else?  Or like UI where grouper is not there, and to build you need a grouper dir, and UI, and it will build one into the other.  It gets config from the grouper dir (or I think an external place?)

- ant scripts should have a menu which defaults to the previous choice (like UI)

- "build/eclipse" should be used by eclipse to compile java/resources

- "build/ant" dir should be used by ant to compile stuff, or do whatever.  should have subdirs to organize

- projects should have a README.txt in the base dir which explains what the project is and how to get up and running, and anything else important (wiki links, etc)