Skip to Content.
Sympa Menu

grouper-dev - Draft minutes: Grouper Call 3-Sep-08

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

List archive

Draft minutes: Grouper Call 3-Sep-08

Chronological Thread 
  • From: Emily Eisbruch <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Draft minutes: Grouper Call 3-Sep-08
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:15:43 -0400

**Grouper Call 3-Sep-08**


Tom Barton, Chair
Gary Brown, Bristol U.
Shilen Patel, Duke
Chris Hyzer, U. Penn
Bill Kasenchar, U. Penn
Tom Zeller, U. Memphis
Dave Donnelly, Stanford
Joy Veronneau, Cornell U.
RL "Bob" Morgan, U. Washington
Steve Olshansky, Internet2
Emily Eisbruch, Internet2 (scribe)

New Action Items

[AI] {Chris} will make the encrypted password function external to Grouper.

[AI] {TomZ} will create a JIRA issue summarizing today's discussion on handling of utilities by gsh.

 Carry Over Action Items

[AI] {Chris} will create a proposal for using a shell script to make binaries.

[AI] {Chris} will develop guidelines for standardizing build script procedures across the I2 middleware products.

[AI] {Kathryn} will do background research on a messaging system to be used as a test/example case for hooks.


Grouper Release 1.3.1.

Grouper Release 1.3.1 is ready for final testing and packaging, with all JIRA items having been marked completed. Chris will test web services; Chris, TomZ, and Shilen will do unit testing. Chris will tag the code for the 1.3.1 release in CVS and inform TomB.  

Binary Format for Grouper 1.4

Binary format will be considered for Grouper 1.4, not for this 1.3.1 release.

Documentation for 1.3.1

Shilen welcomes feedback on his Bad Membership Finder utility documentation at:

Gary will edit the documentation on the Grouper wiki for API configuration changes in Grouper 1.3.1.

Encrypting passwords in config files


Encrypting passwords in config files was deferred, to be reconsidered along with the release of Subject 1.0. This deferral decision was based on concern about creating a need for Grouper customized versions of 3rd party source, such as JDBC source files.  However, it makes sense now to proceed with putting encrypted passwords in a separate JAR.

[AI] {Chris} will make the encrypted password function external to Grouper.


What are the potential impacts of cleaning up and removing some indexes, as suggested in GRP-146?

There is a risk that indexes that we consider redundant are not actually redundant in all cases. Making some indexes optional through a configuration file was discussed. There is a need to understand how various databases use indexes. The decision was not to make changes to indexes for 1.4.  Soon after 1.4, it might make sense to develop test/benchmark databases to be able to make a future determination on this issue.

Packaging of Utilities

The consensus was to use gsh for storing utilities.

Utilities for 1.4 will include those needed to replace Apache Ant (Scheme export, run test, export import, XML, etc.), Bad Membership Finder, and more.

TomB noted it will be important to maintain a wiki page or interactive, built-in help so people know what utilities are in gsh.

[AI] {TomZ} will create a JIRA issue summarizing today's discussion on handling of utilities by gsh.

Next call: Wed 17-Sep-08 Noon EDT.

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page