grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Draft minutes: Grouper Call 3-Sep-08

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Draft minutes: Grouper Call 3-Sep-08

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Emily Eisbruch <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Draft minutes: Grouper Call 3-Sep-08
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 01:04:59 -0400

I externalized the encrypted passwords functionality:

- dont have copied jdbc source adapters anymore (though I do subclass it, so I think grouper people should still change to the grouper specific one, in case we add in hooks or something without duplicating the logic)

- updated the subject api with the better logging in jdbc source adapter, java compiled with line numbers, and source in jar, and of course, morphString enabled

- there is no documented way to unencrypt a morphed string, and I would appreciate it if we didnt discuss how to do this over email lists or recorded phone calls...  but know that it is not impossible to do if the encrypt key is known.

- externalized the password encryption to a project: grouper-misc/morphString, and jar morphString.jar

- there is a new config file on the classpath root called: morphString.properties.  This has the two settings that were in grouper.properties, the encrypt key (or file location of encrypt key), and if we should look in files at all.

- you can encrypt a string with the morphString.jar (needs no other dependencies except java5):

  C:\mchyzer\isc\dev\grouper\morphString>java -jar dist\morphString.jar

  Enter the location of morphString.properties: conf\morphString.properties

  Enter the string to encrypt:

  The encrypted string is: c5f1d2082f272eff77ee6e734f5aef7d

- if the password masking doesnt work, run without password masking:

  C:\mchyzer\isc\dev\grouper\morphString>java -jar dist\morphString.jar dontMask

  Enter the location of morphString.properties: conf\morphString.properties

  Enter the string to encrypt: abc

  The encrypted string is: c5f1d2082f272eff77ee6e734f5aef7d

- if you dont want to type in the config file location, you can put the config file on classpath:

  C:\mchyzer\isc\dev\grouper\morphString>java  -cp conf;dist\morphString.jar edu.internet2.middleware.morphString.Encrypt

  Enter the string to encrypt:

  The encrypted string is: c5f1d2082f272eff77ee6e734f5aef7d

- you cannot encrypt a string via batch/shell script in grouper anymore.  Just use the morphString way

- morphString is ready to be put in other projects (e.g. signet), just let me know if anyone needs help

- there is no grouper shell way to encrypt a string since the password itself ends up in the gsh history.  I have the code to make an encrypt command if anyone knows how to make input not go into the history.  Not a huge deal though, it is pretty easy with the jar I believe...

- took out commons-lib.jar from source api and commons project.  Now it makes a zip file of all jars...  instead of a jar of all classes in the jars…