grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 14 May 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 14 May 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)

  • From: "Sanjay Vivek" <>
  • To: "Grouper Dev" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 14 May 2008, 1200EDT (1600Z)
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 09:13:45 +0100

Hi all,

The documentation that comes with Grouper WS very clearly describes how
to deploy either Basic Auth or Rampart so there's no concern at all
about the documentation. It's just that we have been looking into adding
extra security functionality for our Web Services for a while now. Most
of our services had Basic Auth as a security mechanism and this was
something we wanted to expand on. Basic Auth is a very practical and
familiar way of adding security functionality to a WS and our developers
will always insist on it even in the current WS-Security climate. We
were looking into adding Token Assertion (in the form of UsernameToken)
and also Encryption for some of our services so we essentially required
3 security mechanisms: Basic Auth, UsernameToken and Encryption.
Although the easiest way of doing is deploying the service thrice but
with a different security mechanism for each deployment, this however
appeared rather unwieldy.

We wanted a service with multiple security mechanisms in place and not
worry about the client side. The various depts in Newcastle require
different security mechanisms and so it would be practical to deploy a
service once and just add a different security mechanism when required.
We came across 2 options, policy alternatives and multiport WS. Policy
alternatives was a no go because its not implemented by Rampart or any
other WS implementation stack for that matter. Multiport WS proved
difficult to implement because it appears not much work is done on it
and we couldn't get help or replies from the various WS mailing lists.

We believe our work done with respect to multiple security mechanisms is
relevant to Grouper WS and is the primary reason why we published an
extra report. We published the report because we needed an historical
archive of the work we had done. Cheers.

Regards
Sanjay