grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Where the web services will live

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Where the web services will live

  • From: Scotty Logan <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Where the web services will live
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:57:48 -0800

On Jan 18, 2008, at 12:05 AM, Chris Hyzer wrote:
Yeah, its not strictly restful, but it is loose-rest (i.e. http/xml non-soap web services).

It's far from even being loose REST; REST is a bit more than "http/xml non-soap web services".

I updated the docs with examples, readme, xml input output for 4 cases: addMember SOAP, addMember Rest, addMemberSimple SOAP, addMemberSimple REST:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Add+Member

This is the request that's passed to the "REST" endpoint:

<ns1:addMember xmlns:ns1="http://webservices.grouper.middleware.internet2.edu/xsd ">
<ns1:wsGroupLookup>
<ns1:groupName>aStem:aGroup</ns1:groupName>
</ns1:wsGroupLookup>
<ns1:subjectLookups>
<ns1:subjectId>10021368</ns1:subjectId>
</ns1:subjectLookups>
<ns1:subjectLookups>
<ns1:subjectId>10039438</ns1:subjectId>
</ns1:subjectLookups>
<ns1:replaceAllExisting>F</ns1:replaceAllExisting>
<ns1:actAsSubjectLookup>
<ns1:subjectId>GrouperSystem</ns1:subjectId>
</ns1:actAsSubjectLookup>
</ns1:addMember>

Which looks more like a set of nested function calls than a representation of a group.

Please take a look at the notes from the UW meeting - Jim Fox posted this link earlier:

https://wiki.cac.washington.edu/display/groups/UW+Groups+Web+Service+Design+Workshop

That's what a RESTful interface to Grouper should look like.

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+-+Web+Services

I understand why HTML wants GET/POST to be for different things, (GET should be idempotent), and browsers do the back button differently for GET and POST. But Im not sure why REST cares what HTTP method is used... If REST uses a post, then you cant make a link to it, must be a form. That's fine, but if you use PUT and DELETE, you cant use it with browsers, even with forms (right?)

You can't fully utilize a RESTful interface with a plain browser, which is fine, since that's not the intent of REST. REST is for service to service communication, not browser+HTML to service (but browser+HTML+JavaScript with a conforming XMLHttpRequest implementation can be RESTful - see http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/#dependencies) .

Anyways, I don't think we need to worry about it since Axis/HTML doesn't support them PUT and DELETE...

Then Axis/HTML is an incredibly poor choice for a RESTful implementation. That's like saying it's OK to use a SQL database implementation that doesn't support INSERT or DELETE, but that some syntax for SELECT achieves the same result.

Scotty