grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] Where the web services will live

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] Where the web services will live

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Scotty Logan <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] Where the web services will live
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 03:05:01 -0500

> Um, that's not RESTful... GET should not be used to create or modify
> anything.
>
> Scotty

Yeah, its not strictly restful, but it is loose-rest (i.e. http/xml non-soap
web services).

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.1

It's the built-in Axis rest option... if you want to pass in args on the
query string, you can use GET. If you want to put the data in the body, you
can do that with a POST:

http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_0/rest-ws.html

So if you want to add more client code, you can do the XML POST... no
problem. I agree if you are exposing this via browser then you should use
post, but with a web service client, I don't see why it matters. Both are
available.

I updated the docs with examples, readme, xml input output for 4 cases:
addMember SOAP, addMember Rest, addMemberSimple SOAP, addMemberSimple REST:

https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Add+Member
https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/GrouperWG/Grouper+-+Web+Services

I understand why HTML wants GET/POST to be for different things, (GET should
be idempotent), and browsers do the back button differently for GET and POST.
But Im not sure why REST cares what HTTP method is used... If REST uses a
post, then you cant make a link to it, must be a form. That's fine, but if
you use PUT and DELETE, you cant use it with browsers, even with forms
(right?)

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.13.1

Anyways, I don't think we need to worry about it since Axis/HTML doesn't
support them PUT and DELETE...

Kind regards,