grouper-dev - READ THIS FIRST RE: [grouper-dev] Where the web services will live

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

READ THIS FIRST RE: [grouper-dev] Where the web services will live

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: READ THIS FIRST RE: [grouper-dev] Where the web services will live
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:59:39 -0500

FORGET THAT LAST EMAIL, Let me do this again, I am mixing up my acronyms (ui
and ws)...

Hey,

Tom, Gary and I have been discussing where the web services code will live.
The options are:

1. In its own project with different library versions than grouper-ui
2. In its own project with the same library versions as grouper-ui
3. In the grouper-ui project with a config switch to turn off either the ui
or ws or run both

If you want to give me your vote, and I will tally them (Tom and Gary, please
also vote since I added an option), or if you want to give more info to the
list feel free. I will tally the votes in 48 hours.

Let me see if I can list the pros and cons in an unbiased fashion (this is
always the hardest part of my job :) ):

Flexibility of deployment (can share config, log files, will make quickstart
all inclusive, etc):
- #2, #3 is better since you can run either the ws, or the ui, or both

Ease of maintenance by grouper team (as far being able to upgrade a jar in
one project vs another):
- #1 better if completely separate

Ease of maintenance by the grouper team (as far as being able to change code
in one without affecting the other):
- #1 and #2 are better to change code

Ease of deployment:
- #3 is better since you have one warfile to deploy, and can change the
config to turn off the ui or ws if you like.

Ease of maintenance by grouper team (as far as duplication of projects, build
scripts, etc):
- #3 better if shared with grouper-ui

Being able to build the webapp without ws or ui (there are 15 megs of ws jars
(down to 12 jars) that make the warfile big (granted classes are only loaded
when accessed, so the memory footprint wouldnt matter):
- #1 and #2 are better

Others?