grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Custom group types, attributes and names

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Custom group types, attributes and names

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Custom group types, attributes and names
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:20:45 +0000

--On 21 January 2005 08:52 -0600 Tom Barton

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
I started experimenting with custom group types and came across some
things I didn't expect:

1) A new custom group type did not 'inherit' all the base type
attributes, I had to explicitly add them to the grouper_typedef table
before I could create a group of custom type because the attribute
checking didn't recognise 'name' etc.

I thought that the reason for having a base type was to ensure that all
groups would automatically have the essentials Grouper needed to
function internally.

Bugzilla #271 is to complete support for groups having multiple types.
Until that's there, the single type they're allowed must have everything
in it.

2) The uniqueness of the 'name' attribute is not enforced - two groups
with different types can have the same name.

I can see that a stem (implemented as a group) might have the same name
as a group, but having actual groups be able to have the same name would
be confusing and create problem instantiating a group by name, as
discussed in 3.

Witrhout looking into the specifics, I know that we arrived at the final
naming model too late to get it all baked into the 0.5 release. I assume
this issue is an aspect of that fact.

3) The GrouperGroup.loadByName(GrouperSession s, String name, String
type) requires that you know the type of a group before you can load it.
In the UI I have been using the group name as the identifier to pass
around - it makes debugging a lot easier. I can't use this approach if
group names are only unique to their type - unless I start passing the
type around as well, but I don't really want to do that.

Name uniqueness will return with completion of support for the final
naming model, but even if they're unique, names can change (maybe during
a UI session). The only unambiguous way of referring to a group is by its
guid (value of GrouperGroup.id). Use GrouperGroup.loadById and consider
'name' as a changeable attribute of the group.

As it happens loadByKey and loadById both require me to know the group type in advance - or accept the default type of 'base'. GrouperBackend appears to do the lookup correctly, but GrouperGroup forces a type assignment on the returned group.

Tom

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing