grouper-dev - Custom group types, attributes and names

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Custom group types, attributes and names

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Custom group types, attributes and names
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:09:20 +0000

I started experimenting with custom group types and came across some things I didn't expect:

1) A new custom group type did not 'inherit' all the base type attributes, I had to explicitly add them to the grouper_typedef table before I could create a group of custom type because the attribute checking didn't recognise 'name' etc.

I thought that the reason for having a base type was to ensure that all groups would automatically have the essentials Grouper needed to function internally.

2) The uniqueness of the 'name' attribute is not enforced - two groups with different types can have the same name.

I can see that a stem (implemented as a group) might have the same name as a group, but having actual groups be able to have the same name would be confusing and create problem instantiating a group by name, as discussed in 3.

3) The GrouperGroup.loadByName(GrouperSession s, String name, String type) requires that you know the type of a group before you can load it. In the UI I have been using the group name as the identifier to pass around - it makes debugging a lot easier. I can't use this approach if group names are only unique to their type - unless I start passing the type around as well, but I don't really want to do that.

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing