grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Custom group types, attributes and names

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Custom group types, attributes and names

  • From: blair christensen <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Custom group types, attributes and names
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:17:38 -0800

On 2005.01.24 10:01, GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
> As stems are logically distinct from groups we ought not to stop them
> having the same name, but actual groups should have unique names.

Agreed.

> OK . May be raises the question as to whether there ought to be methods
> that load by name if that is 'unsafe'?

Well, I wouldn't call it 'unsafe'. However, the only reliable,
persistent and public handle for a group is the group id. However,
being able to load a group by name is also useful, especially when one
has a name but not a stem, extension, or group id.

Perhaps I just need to clarify the API docs for the group loading
methods?