wg-pic - [wg-pic] WebRTC now available in Chrome

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[wg-pic] WebRTC now available in Chrome

  • From: "Callahan, Tim" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: [wg-pic] WebRTC now available in Chrome
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 20:31:42 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

I was looking at Justin's Blog - for those of you interested in WebRTC, it is
now available in Chrome (at least, in dev builds). This includes an API. It
looks like he moved to the WebRTC team full time.
http://juberti.blogspot.com/2012/01/webrtc-now-available-in-chrome.html

WebRTC has its own blog too:
http://www.webrtc.org/blog

More on WebRTC standards:
http://www.w3.org/TR/webrtc/

Also:
When launched, Google+ had promise of some form of federation. I think
there's hope for BuddyCloud/Google+/other federation (or at least some sort
of co-operation, etc...) because of the mutual XMPP underpinnings. Recall
some older info Justin (we poked at it before):

"we plan to publish the specifications needed to interoperate with Hangouts.
At a high level, it's based on XMPP MUC (XEP-0045) and Jingle (XEP-0166/167)"

Announcement from last June: "We are pleased to announce that we have
launched support for Jingle XEP-166 and XEP-167 for Google Talk calls to and
from Gmail, iGoogle, and Orkut. We have also added the same level of support
to libjingle (http://code.google.com/p/libjingle), which is used by many
native clients. From this point on, it will be our primary signaling
protocol, and the old protocol will only remain for backwards compatibility."

Food for thought.
-Tim

o) ) ) )
Tim Callahan
University of Michigan
Spectrum Manager and Lead Wireless Engineer

or

O:734-763-9640
C:734-277-6788

  • [wg-pic] WebRTC now available in Chrome, Callahan, Tim, 02/23/2012