wg-pic - [wg-pic] Google opening up video groupchat specs (surprise, it's XMPP based!)

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[wg-pic] Google opening up video groupchat specs (surprise, it's XMPP based!)

  • From: "Callahan, Tim" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Cc: Scott Brim <>, "Callahan, Tim" <>
  • Subject: [wg-pic] Google opening up video groupchat specs (surprise, it's XMPP based!)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 17:38:23 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Is interoperability with Google's video groupchat on the horizon? Probably so
(see article below)... they let it slip that it's XMPP/Jingle based, so it
may actually be interoperable with things WE do. This could fit into some of
the work we've proposed/discussed, especially with the Internet2 Commons.
Has anyone had any experience with Hangouts / have you attempted
interoperability? (Does anyone know Justin Uberti? perhaps we can invite him
to one of the calls.)
-Tim

Google plans to open Hangouts for interoperability:
http://gigaom.com/video/google-plus-hangouts-interoperability/
"Hangouts, the group video chat component of Google Plus that everyone's been
raving about, could eventually be usable with other video chat clients and
services as well. Google Real-time Communications Tech Lead Justin Uberti
wrote this weekend on his blog that the company plans to publish the
specifications necessary to interoperate with Hangouts."
"At a high level, it's based on XMPP MUC (XEP-0045) and Jingle
(XEP-0166/167), with some other enhancements needed to handle our
architecture."

Also:
Justin's Hangouts Blog
http://juberti.blogspot.com/2011/07/hangouts-mailbag.html