wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] iPhone + Jabber + Groupchat? not yet, but..

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] iPhone + Jabber + Groupchat? not yet, but..

  • From: Jesse Thompson <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] iPhone + Jabber + Groupchat? not yet, but..
  • Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 12:09:18 -0600

Version 2.0 of OneTeam ($5.99) for the iPhone will have groupchat.

Jesse

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
I know some folks who are working on a new XMPP client, which will work
on iPhone and support MUC. But I don't yet know the release timeline.
Will post more as I know more. :)

Neal McBurnett wrote:
I've been getting on board with Google's open source Android platform
recently (e.g. t-mobile G1 phone), which also does xmpp. But I don't
see any group chat (muc) clients yet. And I recall not finding any
gtalk chat rooms either even for desktop use.

And too bad it seems that google's code to implement the android
client is not open source at least yet:

https://stpeter.im/?p=2082

Another xmpp client is "meebo" but it doesn't seem to have muc either.

Google uses the open source smack api and library for their client on
android, and some smack folks have put up their own instructions on
writing client code with smack:

http://davanum.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/android-just-use-smack-api-for-xmpp/

And smack seems to support muc

http://www.igniterealtime.org/builds/smack/docs/latest/javadoc/org/jivesoftware/smackx/muc/MultiUserChat.html

so it may not be long before some good clients are out there.

What are some good open xmpp hosts that support creating your own chat
rooms?

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett http://neal.mcburnett.org/