wg-pic - [wg-pic] February 14, PIC minutes

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[wg-pic] February 14, PIC minutes

  • From: Elaine Lauerman <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: [wg-pic] February 14, PIC minutes
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:55:23 -0500

Starting Time: 4:00 PM US/Eastern
Occurs: Every Thursday
Duration: 1 hour maximum

To join the call, do one of the following:
 a. Dial 1-734-615-7474 , 1-800-392-6130 or 1-866-411-0013
    and enter access code 0125986
 b. To have the system call you, click here:
    https://edial.internet2.edu/call/0125986

Attendees:

Tim Callahan (chair) - Michigan
Rodney McDuff - Queensland
Deke Kassabian - Penn
Jorj Bauer - Penn
Mike LaHaye - Internet2
Elaine Lauerman (scribe) - Internet2

*Action Items as of February 14*

[ACTION] (1/31) Deke will ask Dennis Baron about the future of SIP.edu.
(2/7) Dennis' involvement has dropped off. Dennis feels there is a lack of
support from Internet2 in Real Time Communications. Staff have either left
of been laid off and no one seems to be picking up the ball.
[ACTION] Elaine will ping Dennis to capture his concerns. Sent email 2/21

[ACTION] (1/31) Mark will document how to automate account creation in Openfire.
(2/7) Mark wrote a Perl script and will post to the Wiki.

[ACTION] (1/24) Elaine will find out what the demo-planning deadlines are, e.g.,
when we need to have information ready for inclusion in printed materials or
posting on the web site.
(2/21) - technical requirements due February 29th
- Member Update due March 7th
- sign with graphic and text due April 1st
- pocket guide inclusion due April 1st
- web page due April 11th
http://pic.internet2.edu/trials/index.html
http://pic.internet2.edu/trials/200404-trial.html

[ACTION] (1/24) Elaine will see if the Mac Minis are available for PIC to use at
the Member Meeting, and send out the specs if so.
(2/7) Two are available to use. Need to send out specs. Units available now
will need shipping address.

[ACTION] (1/17) Rodney will continue working to document hardware requirements
for the demo and production versions of PIC.edu.
(2/7) in process - What are we going to do after the SMM demo? Who is willing to
manage the server?

[ACTION] (1/17) Tim will launch an email discussion of what to call the PIC.edu
service, in context of how we want to present the demo.
(2/7) still outstanding

[ACTION] (12/6) Tim will contact Dorothy Williams and Ed Humphrey about working
on PIC.edu server documentation.
(2/7) on hold for now

[ACTION] (12/6) Tim will send wg-pic a proposal for which features the initial
PIC.edu client table should cover.
(2/7) still outstanding

[ACTION] (11/1) Tim will put the draft PIC.edu project objectives on the wiki
and invite people to start contributing there.
(2/7) no change

[ACTION] (11/1) Tim will ask SIP.edu participants for their insights on how to
proceed with PIC.edu, and in particular how to handle user generation and
management.
(2/7) on hold, more conversation is needed

[ACTION] (7/12) Mark will prepare a simple demo of anonymous and non-anonymous
versions of moderated and unmoderated Jabber chatrooms, for a PIC call in early
2008.
(2/7) keep as a place holder, not a priority at this point.

[ACTION] Elaine to get wiki set up and send the links to the group
(2/21) In progress

*Discussion*

SMM task list
- Setup 4 chat rooms

- How will we create accounts? Use federated id? Possibly use campus identity management?

- Do we need a help desk? Maybe just manned table near registration for the first couple of days.

- Should we use a web based client? Use jw-chat or jeti? Come up with the top 2 possibilities.

- Should we have a handout available? If so, where? At the registration desk or the PIC table?

- How should we market the demo?  Get details about the demo prepared for SMM document inclusion.
[ACTION] (2/6) Deke will put together group collaboration for content

- Sponsorship issues; How can institutions participate? Could/should Internet2 take on the role of
creating a Jabber accounts?  Who is providing the server?  Someone needs to take on enabling
presence service, who?
[ACTION] Elaine to talk to Ellen Vaughan about the possiblity of a corporate member donating
equipment for a PIC server.  Maybe Google who is already a member otherwise maybe approach
Jabber.com. Elaine will investigate but a proposal needs to be written up for Ellen to approach
a corporate member so she understands the project scope.

[ACTION] Internet2 tech support discuss with group how we'll set up shib accounts for the SMM.
Will we use shib accounts?

- Elaine to manage logistics for SMM (request table and location)
[ACTION] Elaine to request a table to appropriate Internet2 staff - Done 2/20

- On-site technical requirements
 * network configuration
 * two boxes (one a spare)
 * need a couple of ip addresses

- need IDP on campus if not available use Protect Network

- need to get shib credentials to a Jabber server

submitted by: Elaine Lauerman

Elaine Lauerman, Program Manager, Internet2 Events
Internet2

office: +1-734-913-4253 | mobile: +1-734-604-8064  |  fax:  +1-734-913-4255

Be part of the future!
2008 Internet2 Strategic Planning
http://www.internet2.edu/strategicplanning