wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] draft October 25 PIC minutes

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] draft October 25 PIC minutes

  • From: Rodney McDuff <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] draft October 25 PIC minutes
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:29:54 +1000

Mark Sirota wrote:
> --On 2007-11-01 10:05 AM -0800 Ben Chinowsky
> <>
> wrote:
>> - choosing a single XMPP server to work with. Rodney noted that MAMS has
>> already Shibbolized jabberd 1.4, but suggested that OpenFire would be a
>> better choice for PIC.edu.
>
> Sorry for being late to the party, but can anyone point me to
> documenation about this? I'm curious how Shibboleth, which is
> fundamentally a web-based authentication mechanism, is useful for jabberd.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/shibjim

I'll added the same proviso that I add during the call. I've only seen
it demonstrated over powerpoint. I have not played with it. The Online
Librarian Project involves 2 Australian universities on opposite sides
of the country (and therefore 3 hour differences in timezones) can
extend their helpdesk functions over a greater period. One of the
features that they wanted was the anonymization of the student to the
helpdesk staff. Ie the HD staff only sees that they are talking to a
student from a particular uni. The powerpoint presentation did not
actually show anyone logging in.

However I think that any interaction between shibboleth and XMPP is
better than none and a much netter place to start from.

--
Dr. Rodney G. McDuff |Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam
Manager, Strategic Technologies Group| Ex luce ad tenebras

TELEPHONE: +61 7 3365 8220 |