wg-pic - Re: Google Talk federating for IM and voice calls via XMPP and SIP

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: Google Talk federating for IM and voice calls via XMPP and SIP

  • From: Neal McBurnett <>
  • To: , i2im <>
  • Subject: Re: Google Talk federating for IM and voice calls via XMPP and SIP
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:53:03 -0700

On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 12:47:56PM -0500, Ben Teitelbaum wrote:
> To elaborate somewhat:
>
> * We tested between uab.edu and Google Talk (gmail.com) using an
> "ancient jabberd", according to John-Paul;
> * We tested between duke.edu and Google Talk (gmail.com);
> * We also tested using heterogeneous clients (Google's client, Adium,
> and GAIM)
> * IM worked;
> * Presence updates worked;
> * Custom presence worked;
> * Typing indication worked;
>
> In short, as Heather said: "Test were successful". We couldn't break
> anything (at least not doing simple user-level things).
>
> Local IdM and Auth, global connectivity--pretty cool!

Great. Worked for me also.

So how about the voice side of things, to let us avoid proprietary,
closed-protocol, unmanageable VOIP stuff like Skype?

Any experience out there with the Google Talk client with voice? I
guess they only have the Windows version out now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Talk

And any insights comparing it with SIP, or other VOIP options?
I just joined the wg-pic list, so sorry if I missed something.

More links and excerpts included below....

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/
Signed and/or sealed mail encouraged. GPG/PGP Keyid: 2C9EBA60

http://programming.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/01/09/2226226&from=rss

Jabber Software Foundation (JSF) released documentation for two
extensions to the Jabber (XMPP) protocol, named Jingle Signaling and
Jingle Audio. On the same day, Google -- co-creators of the
extensions -- released a BSD-style-licensed library called libjingle,
the implementation of the extensions that powers the company's Google
Talk software.

Jingle Signaling (JEP 0166): http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0166.html
Jingle Audio (JEP 0167): http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0167.html

libjingle: http://code.google.com/apis/talk/index.html

http://www.jabber.org/press/2005-12-15.shtml
In addition to Google and Jabber Inc., the following companies and
open-source projects have already pledged to support the Jingle
protocols: Antepo, Cerulean Studios (Trillian), Coversant, Digium
(Asterisk), Gaim, Jive Software, Novamens, Psi, SAPO, and
Tipic. Support from additional vendors is expected in the near
future.

Wengophone: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenWengo

Gizmo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gizmo_Project

Other Voice over IP info: