wg-pic - draft March 31 PIC minutes

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

draft March 31 PIC minutes

  • From: "Ben Chinowsky" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: draft March 31 PIC minutes
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:01:41 -0700

*Action Items*

(new)
[ACTION] Candace and Jamey will get a test account set up for the p.C people.
[ACTION] Jamey, Ben, and Steve will test the BlueLava SER distribution; Steve
will take notes for documentation.
[ACTION] Ben T. will see if Internet2's audio expert can help with the Member
Meeting demo.
[ACTION] Ben T., Jamey, and Candace will participate in Dennis's April 19
demo.

(from previous calls)
[ACTION] Candace will try registering Session with Free World Dialup or
Harvard's Avaya server.
[ACTION] Ben T. will work on configuring SER to get Session to work with it.
[ACTION] Ben T. will send the list the new Session download URL.
[ACTION] Jeremy will recruit some people from JISC to join a future PIC call,
and reschedule the call to a time that's convenient for those in the UK
time zone.
[ACTION] Jamey will enable eyeBeam to use presence info to decide
whether messages should go straight to voicemail.
[ACTION] Once Session can register with PALS, Jeremy will schedule Session and
eyeBeam testing with Candace.
[ACTION] Ben T. will write a script for the Member Meeting demo, recruiting
others to help as necessary.
[ACTION] For the Spring MM demo, Rodger will look into a) eyeBeam for the Mac
and b) Session.
[ACTION] Candace will try to get a version of Pulver Communicator that
registers
properly with PALS.
[ACTION] Jamey will look into ways of addressing Dennis's concerns about solo
testing on the PALS server.
[ACTION] Jamey will test eyeBeam against the 090 prerelease version of SER,
which is what PALS is running now.
[ACTION] Candace will write a description of a simple way to append PUBLISH
messages from the client to the servers, in order to provide a basic way to
do location and presence tracking.
[ACTION] Jeremy will outline a high-level paper on the PIC WG's experiences
and
lessons learned.
[ACTION] Ben T. will write a short document describing the motivation for the
paths-in-the-snow approach to PIC development.
[ACTION] Jamey will update the interface requirements document.
[ACTION] Jamey will continue working on the future of the skiffs, and solicit
opinions from PIC members as needed.
[ACTION] After the MM, people will research skiff-like offerings from various
companies:
- Dennis - Newbury
- Steve - Airwave
- Candace - Airespace (being bought by Cisco)
- Jeremy - Eckehau (via Walt Magnusson)

*Attendees*

Ben Teitelbaum (acting chair) - Internet2
Dennis Baron (acting scribe) - MIT
Jamey Hicks - HP
Candace Holman - Harvard
Steve Blair - Penn
Deke Kassabian - Penn
Rodger Will - Ford
Joe Rork - Ford

*Discussion*

Interoperability testing:
- Working on getting Session to work with PALS. There has been progress. Voice
calls work on the PC; need to test IM and presence, then test the Mac version.
Ben T., Jamey, and Joe will test again on Friday at 11am Eastern. Current
version is from 3/28/05.
- Candace is also testing pulver.Communicator. She has disabled VPN but
it still works intermittently. Jamey has added SER parsing of a new MIME
type that p.C uses. Candace has sent out instructions on how to
configure p.C. Candace and Jamey are talking with the p.C people
tomorrow. [ACTION] Candace and Jamey will get a test account set up
for the p.C people.

Server distribution and documentation:
- Decisions to be made:
- Do we want to use a presence agent, or just do P2P?
- Do we want to demo more than one domain at the MM?
- Minimum functionality requirements were SER as registrar and presence
agent. Need to test a server version without domain hijacking for
distribution.
- NOTE: server distribution to be frozen by 4/8/05.
- [ACTION] Jamey, Ben, and Steve will test the BlueLava SER distribution;
Steve
will take notes for documentation.

SMM program:
- Draft agenda:
- Intro - Lassner
- Demo
- Vision - Henning
- Release - Candace
- Q&A - moderated by Jeremy
- Jeremy is preparing Lassner for his talk.
- Somebody needs to prepare Henning. Should we have Henning talk as part of
the
demo?
- We have to make sure that the demo audio is good. [ACTION] Ben T. will see
if
Internet2's audio expert can help with the Member Meeting demo.

Miscellaneous:
- Dennis requested using PALS for a demo at MIT on April 19 from 3pm to 4pm
Eastern. [ACTION] Ben T., Jamey, and Candace will participate in Dennis's
April
19 demo.
- Are we still surveying location systems? Yes, but it isn't active or high
priority. We should get back to this after the MM.

  • draft March 31 PIC minutes, Ben Chinowsky, 04/06/2005