wg-pic - Presence Packaging Requirements 040505

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Presence Packaging Requirements 040505

  • From: Candace Holman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Presence Packaging Requirements 040505
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:07:46 -0400

Dear PIC WG,

I've attached an updated text document with the presence packaging requirements. It's been updated to reflect our new reduced scope. You can hold onto previous documents to revisit when we decide to increase our scope.

Any comments?

CandaceRequirements for Longer Term PALS Trial Packaging
12/20/04

Updates
-------
02/25/05 - Phase 1 packaging refinements for Spring MM
04/05/05 - Reduce scope to "first release" (see archived docs for broader
scope)

Introduction
------------
All members of the working group invite longer term trial participation -
hopefully from schools, hospitals, and other institutions that have a
predetermined desire for presence technologies. However, we realize that it
is difficult to sell the idea of a trial without a package. This document
starts the process of packaging a presence trial based on current client and
server implementations.

To package a trial we have to agree on the basic representation of a trial.
This initial document assumes that we will provide documentation, server
code, and installation and simulation scripts to potential trial
participants. For Phase 1 packaging, we will most likely develop a basic
ser/pa RPM set; suggest the use of SIP.edu; provide documentation for
installation, user provisioning and testing; and provide recommendations for
at least two clients that support audio, presence, and IM.

The rest of the document describes minimum tasks required for the first
release.

Preliminary choices are nearly complete
---------------------------------------
a. Servers: SIP.edu service, I2 PALS server and Local ser/pa server
configured by PIC-WG script
b. Data collection: manual
c. Data Aggregation: web portal
d. Client: in the running are Xten eyeBeam, pulver Communicator, and Session
e. Protocols: XCAP/PIDF, PUBLISH
f. Client modes: IM, rich-presence, sip-voice
g. User provisioning modes: manual

Research (Jamey, Candace, etc)
--------
Determine basic components of an ser/pa install, including:
- configure network settings
- configure access control
- configure user accounts

Server
------
in progress: Stabilize the current PA version to most recent chosen RFCs/I-Ds
in progress: Create bug list, prioritize solutions, enlist help
Freeze date of 04/08/05
in progress: Ensure the current stable version is available in the ser cvs
repository
todo: Create RPMs for closest approximation of one-button setup
todo: Testing installation instructions and RPMs outside of
pals.internet2.edu (Jeremy, Art, Roger)

Client
------
done: select candidates, get vendor contacts,
in-progress: interoperability testing, create bug list, prioritize solutions

Coding
------
in-progress: Write script that tests the PUBLISH capability of PALS, confirms
local network viability like a basic echo test (Candace)
in-progress: tweak pa module for client interoperability
todo: Write RPMs for the ser server and pa module

Documentation
todo: Update Jamey and Xiaotaow's client requirements document
todo: Write a server requirements document
todo: Write an "adherance to current standards" document
todo: Write a how-to for client and server

  • Presence Packaging Requirements 040505, Candace Holman, 04/05/2005