wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Galileo: "Indoor GPS?"

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Galileo: "Indoor GPS?"

  • From: Alistair Munro <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Galileo: "Indoor GPS?"
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:12:02 +0000

Hi All,

... Apparently, Galileo is expected to work indoors due to
its use of ultra-wideband (UWB), but I'm over my head in terms of RF
technology.

Any PICers know more about this?

Emphasis on the "expected" I think, or possibly "hoped to work" would be better! It will certainly have a better chance by using broader band RF than the current GPS, but I would be a bit doubtful about it getting into those big Marriott ballrooms.

I haven't really kept tabs on Galileo on a technical level, but I'll have a dig around. Politically it has been quite a hot topic, due to US military fears that it may interfere with GPS.

Regards,

Alistair

--
Prof. Alistair Munro, Toshiba Professor of Communications Networks
Dept. Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Bristol University

Tel.: +44-7974-922442