wg-pic - Galileo: "Indoor GPS?"

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Galileo: "Indoor GPS?"

  • From: Ben Teitelbaum <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Galileo: "Indoor GPS?"
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:16:25 -0500

Add this to the mix of location technologies that we need to track...

The current issue of CACM (a special issue on the "disappearing
computer"), has an article on PlaceLab [1], which makes the following
assertion about Galileo [2]:

By 2008 the European Union will deploy Galileo, a next-generation
GPS system that promises greater accuracy and operation covering
both indoors and out, due to stronger radio signals that should
penetrate most buildings.

If true, this could be a significant option for client-side derivation
of location. Apparently, Galileo is expected to work indoors due to
its use of ultra-wideband (UWB), but I'm over my head in terms of RF
technology.

Any PICers know more about this?

-- ben

[1] http://portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=1047701&type=html