wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Trial lessons

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Trial lessons

  • From: Jamey Hicks <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Trial lessons
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:34:32 -0500

Xiaotao Wu wrote:

3) We want to locate the user, not a communications device. So,
the scanned device needs to be worn or always carried (e.g.,
a PDA, a cell/wifi phone.)

I think in addition to the active location sensing, we can also do some
passive location sensing as a complementary method. See

http://www.proactivedisplays.org/UbiComp/jsp/index.jsp

We also did a similar experiment by using RFID in ACM MM'04 conference to
detect and display current microphone holder.

Joe McCarthy also told us that some experiments that showed
that the Matrics system (http://www.matrics.com/) works better -- longer
range, more reliable reads -- than the Alien system,

Xiaotao,

Do you have data on range vs. accuracy for either the Alien or Matrics system?

Thanks,
Jamey