wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Trial lessons

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Trial lessons

  • From: Stephen Kingham <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Trial lessons
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:19:29 +1100

Hi

Steve Blair wrote:

Jeremy George wrote:

I've been doing some rough drafting on PIC history for the generic
template. Most of the early stuff is pretty straightforward to detail.
Lessons learned is different. I realize we've never discussed nor
set down on paper exactly what we think we've learned. Beyond the
generic template, we've discussed the value of a 'lessons learned'
paper on its own.

I'd like to crank up at least of list of learned items we
mostly agree on and solutions where the items represent problems, if
possible. So, here are ten to start. More?

- Jeremy

1) 802.11 is problematic for VoIP.

True, however, getting the demo to work for 802.11 clients
would be a big win.

My 2c worth is that 802.11 is very important and critical if you have any demonstration at a conference must work over 802.11.

So problematic? I assume you just refer to the problem of providing garanteed QoS and not something else?

2) Much better, more net friendly codecs (e.g., iLBC) are needed.

Agreed.

3) We want to locate the user, not a communications device. So,
the scanned device needs to be worn or always carried (e.g.,
a PDA, a cell/wifi phone.)

I agree with the statement about locating the person not the device. I
would like to also incorporate location identification into the soft client
for those people using a PDA, or as an option for people who only want to
be tracked when they are online. Does this sound reasonable?

4) The ideal target device may not be a laptop.

Yipee! I'd really like to see at least some of the demo functionality
make it's way into at least a Palm or Pocket PC handheld.

5) There is a critical need for a high quality, open source SIP UA.

If you say so. I'll go along with you. I can see why such a client
would be helpful but I wouldn't want to out-develop the software
vendors. I think getting some functionality into mainstream clients
would be better.

6) Fine grained, high quality weather reports would be highly
valuable.

I like this idea. The only question I have is how the report is presented
to the user. Do we develop the interface such that the weather report is
always present and current then leave the user to determine if current
weather conditions are acceptable for the operation they are about to perform
or do we pop-up (sorry to use that word) the report when the user attempts
an operation that we think is inappropriate for current conditions? Did I
clearly define the difference?

7) Line item portals and maps have complementary values.

Not sure what this is.

8) Versioning is important.

It is although I don't think we need a formal revision control system unless
we plan on distributing a packaged server.

9) Initially, users really have no idea how to deal with PIC/ALS.
The dominant reaction is confusion.

and inconsistency from what I heard. I think we are a victim of our
own initial success. Early demo users returned to each MM expecting
certain functionality. It seems that some participants felt changing the
focus of the demo created a little confusion.

10) Wired headsets aren't ideal.

I'm unaware of any issue with the wired headsets. I'll take your word
on this one.

Thanks for starting the this list Jeremy. Please let me know if my comments
are unclear or seem off base.

Thanks,Steve

--
Stephen Kingham, MIT, BSc, E&C Cert
Project Manager and Consulting Engineer mailto: