wg-pic - draft June 24 PIC minutes

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

draft June 24 PIC minutes

  • From: "Ben Chinowsky" <>
  • To: <>
  • Subject: draft June 24 PIC minutes
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:37:10 -0700

*Action Items as of June 30*

[AI] Joe and Jeremy will launch a PSTN gateway subgroup.
[AI] All will review their assignments for Austin and recruit others to help
them.
[AI] Joe will maintain a list of Austin demo goals and assignments on the PIC
web site.
[AI] Joe will look into NIST SIP (http://www-x.antd.nist.gov/proj/iptel/).
[AI] If he has time, Joe will analyze the statistics on portal traffic.
[AI] On a future PIC call, the group will discuss putting together a report
on experiences with the PIC trials so far.
[AI] Larry will arrange a conference with the Cisco location-technologies
expert, bearing in mind that the PIC working group can't do NDA.
[AI] Ben T. will seek support for SIP.edu click-to-dial directories at the
June 16 SIP.edu workshop.
[AI] Ben T. will arrange regular contacts with vendors interested in
participating in the demo (new Internet2 member Avaya in particular).
[AI] All will send Ben T. any information they have on vendors interested in
participating in the demo.
[AI] Jeremy will formally register the PIC demo with the Austin meeting
planners, noting its special character as one of an ongoing series, and as
something that's woven into the meeting as whole.
[AI] Ben T. will get contacts for the buildout for Austin, and in particular
find out when information on the physical layout of the meeting will be
available.
[AI] Jeremy will send the people on this call an Internet2 draft document on
next steps for presence; all will send comments to him (NOT to the author of
the
document).
[AI] Joe will send Ben T. specifics on the problem he's having with mail
missing
from the archive; Ben T. will take this up with the mail admin.

*Attendees*

Jeremy George (chair) - Yale
Dennis Baron - MIT
Bruce Mazza - Avaya
Art Gaylord - Woods Hole
Joe Rork - Ford
Steve Blair - Penn
Candace Holman - Harvard
Jamey Hicks - HP
Ben Chinowsky (scribe) - Internet2

*Discussion*

The group restated its agreement on the Fall MM priorities set out in Joe's
"Fall Member meeting goals" note (stability, ease of use, conveying the core
message, showing off other cool stuff that we can do), with the last of these
lower priority than the others.

Most of the call was devoted to discussing the pros and cons of including a
PSTN
gateway in the demo, along the lines proposed in Joe's "My silly little cell
phone idea" note. Pros were: this would make the demo actually useful for
people; we can almost certainly find a vendor to provide the needed cell phone
minutes; and wired kiosks will be available to let people use this without
having to worry about the weather on the wireless network. Cons were: it
wouldn't really be all that useful; when used over wireless it would bring
back
all the problems we'd minimized by deemphasizing voice; and an undue focus on
this could end up diluting our core message.

It was agreed that: PSTN connectivity should be a last resort for when other
devices like laptops and PDAs are all unavailable; the option will be
presented
to the user as a type of communication ("voice", "SMS"), not as a type of
device
("cell phone"); as with other features, it will be necessary to have materials
explaining why PSTN connectivity is significant from a PIC standpoint (we'll
discard PSTN connectivity if we find that we can't make a good case); and
authN
should be required for access to the outbound PSTN. Implementation is not
expected to be difficult. [AI] Joe and Jeremy will launch a PSTN gateway
subgroup.

Candace noted that the Fall demo is too soon to implement voice in a web UA,
so
voice access will need to be via SIP UA or kiosk.

  • draft June 24 PIC minutes, Ben Chinowsky, 06/30/2004