wg-pic - [Julian Missig] Apple and Jabber

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

[Julian Missig] Apple and Jabber

  • From: Ben Teitelbaum <>
  • To: wg-pic <>
  • Subject: [Julian Missig] Apple and Jabber
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:47:54 -0400

Cross-posting to PIC...

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Julian Missig <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Apple and Jabber
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:33:41 -0400
Since I know that some of you are particularly interested in Kerberos
authentication with Jabber, I thought I'd point out this little tidbit
from the newly-announced Mac OS X Server 10.4:

"You can now host your own iChat server. Instant Messaging serves as a
vital means of communication for organizations of all sizes, so itÂ’s
useful to deploy and run your own private and secure IM server. Based
on the open source Jabber project, the new iChat server in Tiger Server
lets your company protect its internal communications by defining its
own namespace, using SSL/TLS encryption to ensure privacy, and Kerboros
for authorization. The iChat server works with both the iChat client in
Mac OS X Tiger and popular open source clients available for Windows,
Linux and even PDAs."

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/tiger/

Right now it's unclear to us how much this will be based on the Open
Source jabberd2 (if at all) and what method they're using to access
Kerberos, but I'm sure we'll find out more in the months to come. By
saying that it works with popular open source Jabber clients, it sounds
like they're not deviating from the standards.

Hopefully this will make it easier for some of you to deploy Jabber.

Julian

--- End Message ---

  • [Julian Missig] Apple and Jabber, Ben Teitelbaum, 06/29/2004