wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] May 6 PIC Call Rough Minutes

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] May 6 PIC Call Rough Minutes

  • From: Steve Blair <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] May 6 PIC Call Rough Minutes
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 06:43:55 -0400

I just saw a demo of the Vocera product at a Nortel seminar. The
seminar didn't answer many questions. The one thing I found out
was that Vocera clients send a special registration packet to
their server. In the body of the packet is the MAC address of the
client, thereby addressing the MAC to AP to human discovery problem.

It is a slick device but definely proprietary. The Nortel SE giving the
talk didn't know much about what happens under the covers of the
Vocera product.

-Steve

Jamey Hicks wrote:

* Support for small devices (e.g. PocketPCs, Vocera) (Ben)

I thought Vocera used a proprietary protocol? But I am in favor of small devices.