wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] May 6 PIC Call Rough Minutes

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] May 6 PIC Call Rough Minutes

  • From: Steve Blair <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] May 6 PIC Call Rough Minutes
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 12:16:58 -0400

Joe:

I was at a conference and didn't get back in time for the call. Sorry
about that.

The NIST stuff is getting better. Early implementations had quite a
few problems both in the build process (ant config files) and the Java
code itself. Most of these issues have been addressed in the latest
release.

I recently began working with shtoom-0.1. It works but the user
interface (on Windows) is very basic. Essentially no functionality other
than a simple text input box for the URI. Still it is interesting and something
I plan on investigating further.

Something I'd like is for the "Map" function in Sipc to be available in a
standalone application as well as integrated with Sipc. The main reason is that
I often want to set my location but for a variety of reasons don't have the
SIP/SIMPLE client running. At a meeting like the MM someone knowing
my location is valuable even if they cannot use SIP/SIMPLE applications
to communicate with me. I think this is hard to do but I wanted to mention the
idea to the group.

Along the same lines I'm all over the idea of support for small devices!
Modularizing the "PIC client functionality" should help facilitate the use of
other clients and platforms.

-Steve

Ben Teitelbaum wrote:

Attendance was thin...

* Bruce Mazza
* Candace Holman
* Ben Teitelbaum
* Joe Rork

Basically we acknowledged that the "brainstorm" on the list had been
rather calm. Candace mentioned that she has been tracking the NIST
JAIN-SIP work and reported that there has been a lot of recent
activity.

We then reviewed the feature requests for Austin that were sent to the
list, which were just those that I sent out May 6th. We spent a lot
of time discussing H.350.

In the course of reviewing these, several others came up:

* Public display of location map, perhaps at special-purpose kiosk
(Joe)

* Web-UA; for example a slicker portal with JavaScript and IM
(Candace)

* Support for small devices (e.g. PocketPCs, Vocera) (Ben)

fin

-- ben

--
ISC Network Engineering