wg-pic - PIC Working Group Minutes (April 20, 2004)

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

PIC Working Group Minutes (April 20, 2004)

  • From: Ben Teitelbaum <>
  • To: wg-pic <>
  • Subject: PIC Working Group Minutes (April 20, 2004)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:56:21 -0400

PIC WG Meeting
April 20, 2004
Arlington, VA

Attendance
----------
Alistair Munro, JISC
Steve Blair, University of Pennsylvania
John Stier, SUNY--Stony Brook
Boyd Knosp, University of Iowa
Russ Finken, University of Iowa
Joseph Rork, Ford
Rodger Will, Ford
Bruce P. Mazza, Avaya
Jamey Hicks, HP Labs
Jeremy George, Yale (Chair)
Candace Holman, Harvard
Russ Hobby, Internet2
Ben Teitelbaum, Internet2 (scribe)
Deke Kassabian, University of Pennsylvania
Douglas Walsten, Cisco
Barry Wray, IHETS
Martin L. Jackson, East Carolina University
Rob Hudson, East Carolina University

PIC Trial Review
----------------

Success?
- almost pulled
- too early to tell whether it's a success or failure

Jamey reported on trial utilization
- 67 registered
- 37 today with over 60 minutes on-line

Candace reported several people having trouble with VPNs
- Do we tackle this next time?
- Jamey: Think we should address VPN and NAT (people in hotel rooms
have trouble too)

Rodger
- Can't be patching code during or just before demo
- Need freeze dates / code release dates

Client Discussion
Rodger
- Does group want to support unmodified, commercial clients? (some
discussion, not much traction)

Steve
- Need to make sure participating clients are more equal
(i.e. enforce clients requirements document that Jamey wrote)

Clients should at least uninstall without doing damage!

Russ
- This Internet2 meeting is least tolerant of rough edges

What are the goals?
- Presence
- IM
- QoS or better codecs
- Give up on voice? (vigorous debate both ways, no resolution)

Are things getting less painful? / How can we make them less painful
in Austin?
- Source releases of PALS code (do we need a release?)
- Client / portal presence merging design work needs to be done.
- Joe: Make sure we write requirements
- Identify more roles for people to plug in (e.g. project manager,
doc czar)

Austin roles:
- Project manager - Joe?
- Doc czar - ?
- Portal Dev/Admin - Candace
- Backup Portal Dev/Admin - Steve Blair
- SER Admin - ?
- other roles

Potential New Features
- Add IM to the portal
- Group messaging
- PSTN gatewaying
- MyRoom plus URL resources (streaming video, session evaluation,
program pointer)
- Slide push
- Last seen
- Ability to change password

Microsoft
- Offer to supply hardware and software for LCS trial to anyone
willing to do a technical evaluation (see Todd Needham for more info)
- Continue working on getting Messenger client for trial

Trust
- Need to start thinking about trust, leveraging trust federations
- How do we interact with I2IM, etc?

Final Comments
- Russ: Let people know ahead of time what the focus is?

Social Context Group
- Studying "tussle space" (per Dave Clark) of PIC
- Possibly will deliver a paper
- Separate link? Nah, create pic-dev list.

  • PIC Working Group Minutes (April 20, 2004), Ben Teitelbaum, 04/21/2004