wg-pic - Social context BoF notes

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Social context BoF notes

  • From: Candace Holman <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Social context BoF notes
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:26:19 -0400

There is still interest in discussing the social context of PIC/ALS and writing a paper as a guideline for designers and for other reasons. I attended two adhoc gatherings and wrote some notes.

Candace

PIC Social Context Issues
Quotable thoughts from Member Meeting BoFs 4/19/2004

Attendees: Deke, Alistair, Jeremy, Ben, Candace, Jamey, Randy

1. How many people have announced to you - I don't like being tracked?
The IETF thinks about it - geopriv
Targeted advertising is okay sometimes - tell me when/where I can get a free slice
Would like to be able to opt out if/when it gets out of control
Don't want the data to get in the wrong hands but pizza consumption is not a social issue

2. Designs need to include a way to limit the bad things that can happen
Privacy mechanisms should be considered/discussed
Privacy levels - information privacy, presence privacy, spam, blocked lists, barge-in privileges for your boss du jour
Call it "sophisticated presence"

3. Public safety
Hazardous situations or vulnerabilities should be private
finger daemon was disabled because of possible target enumeration - he's in his office but noone else is online?
Anonymity is not the answer to public safety issues

4. Data mining
Need to design a way to check who is correlating your information
Is there a way to prevent correlation, other than anonymity or lying
Some collections are grand and some are small (in scope, intent, nature of data, etc)

5. Limit our scope in what we address in the paper
Stick to a campus deployment
But talk to campus representatives of the "real" world (public safety, general counsel, etc)
Different issues for students, faculty, staff
Without going on a tangent, could use some extreme examples to illustrate the issues
GoogleMail, biometrics, etc

6. What do consumers do to foil the system that carriers provide or the designers design?
Edge vs central architecture - let the implementor choose, let the design support both
Things we haven't even thought of yet
It is intriguing to think of ways to foil the system
It is a hard problem to think of ways to foil the system until you use it
It is not always a security problem or a consumer/producer tussle

7. User interface
A complex language is required to assert presence
Make it simple for users - design the dials and switches for them to express presence
It's not just about good UI design, modularity, etc
It's social issues and good design
As long as we can make designers aware of the issues in a way that makes sense to them

8. Commercialization of the internet has turned it upside-down
Protocol development has changed in so many ways
Radical changes in adopting new technologies cause issues to crop up sooner
Even though it is hard to predict them, we can't let the issues slide

  • Social context BoF notes, Candace Holman, 04/19/2004