wg-multicast - Re: Fwd: [MBONED] BCP 229, RFC 8815 on Deprecating Any-Source Multicast (ASM) for Interdomain Multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Fwd: [MBONED] BCP 229, RFC 8815 on Deprecating Any-Source Multicast (ASM) for Interdomain Multicast

  • From: John Kristoff <>
  • To:
  • Cc: David Farmer <>
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: [MBONED] BCP 229, RFC 8815 on Deprecating Any-Source Multicast (ASM) for Interdomain Multicast
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 21:46:56 -0500

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 01:09:58 +0000
David Farmer <> wrote:

> WOOHOO! It is official Interdomain ASM Multicast is Deprecated.

Good riddance. Now if I can just get the remaining two ASM apps on our
network deprecated life we can finally remove the RPs and PIM
entirely. Hopefully it doesn't take another 20 years for the
inter-domain piece.

(I know you're going to question this and maybe mention SSM or AMT, but
truly, I don't want it and we barely need it.)

John