wg-multicast - Re: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast

  • From: John Kristoff <>
  • To: Michael Hare <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: AS 20130 has turned off interdomain IP multicast
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 09:49:51 -0500
  • Ironport-phdr: 9a23:88jeHRIZBoCeaecPq9mcpTZWNBhigK39O0sv0rFitYgUKPXxwZ3uMQTl6Ol3ixeRBMOAtKIC1rGd6v2ocFdDyKjCmUhKSIZLWR4BhJdetC0bK+nBN3fGKuX3ZTcxBsVIWQwt1Xi6NU9IBJS2PAWK8TWapAQfERTnNAdzOv+9WsuL15z2hKiO/Mj2Yg5IjTe5KZN7Nhj++QDQvckfjI8kKq8rxzPWo2BDPela2DU7H1+LmwfA4ZKy4J1L+iRZoepn9slaWuP2crwxULgeATg7YE4v48i+lx7DS0Os/HoHTmIYnFIcARTGxB33Rp7stm33uvcri3rSBtH/Ub1hAWfq1KxsUhK9zX5fbzM=

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 13:36:01 +0000
Michael Hare

> Out of curiosity, did you consider dumping MSDP but keeping SSM?

No, not even for a second.

> Did you deploy embedded RP for v6 or are you taking a wait and see
> approach?

No on deployment of embedded RP for IPv6. For all practical purposes,
outside of the declining, very small handful of enthusiasts, I'm
convinced that interdomain IP multicast has been and ought to be
abandoned. I'm not waiting around for the supernatural resurrection
through SSM, embedded RP or AMT.

We have some internal use of IP multicast for system imaging and live
TV streaming. We have some potential work to do with tuning IGMP, PIM,
RPs and all the related knobs that go along with managing those
protocols. Maybe even in getting some of those services onto IPv6.
Internally IP multicast seems useful and promising enough to keep going
into the foreseeable future so that is where any operational IP
multicast effort I undertake will focus.

John