wg-multicast - Re: A multicast-enabled cash register

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: A multicast-enabled cash register

  • From: Ernie Gillis <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Gary Parker <>, "<>" <>
  • Subject: Re: A multicast-enabled cash register
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 09:30:16 -0400

Just wanted to say I read most of the threads here (tho lack knowledge to truly grasp many of the topics or info given). This thread,  though does make me want to respond and say how intriguingly awesome the context and conversation is ;)

--
Sent from mobile device. Please ignore brevity and typos.

On Mar 12, 2015 9:26 AM, "Bill Owens" <> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 01:06:25PM +0000, Gary Parker wrote:

> > On 12 Mar 2015, at 13:00, Bill Owens <> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, there is a bar at Longborough called the Elvyn, and it presumably has a till. Which, for some reason, is using multicast, with a global (and reserved) group address. And setting an apparently unnecessary flag that makes the packets go to every router, everywhere.
> >
> > I think it's extremely unlikely that I would ever be able to find Jack Lakin or a networking person at lut.ac.uk who would be interested in reconfiguring their cash register, so I'll be filtering that myself…
>
> Fortunately we’re on-list Bill!
>
> I’ll have a chat with the networks guys and we’ll have a look...

Oh, excellent! I really didn't expect anyone would be, and getting anyone's attention from the outside is generally difficult with these sorts of things... "Hi, I'm a network guy from another country who you don't know, and I want to talk to you about your multicast enabled cash registers."

Thanks,
Bill.