wg-multicast - Re: 239.192.83.80?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: 239.192.83.80?

  • From: Jeffry Handal <>
  • To: Eldon Koyle <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: 239.192.83.80?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 17:45:44 -0500

Eldon, at al.

With your feedback about being Apple machines and a colleague here at LSU, we found that it may be the very group that Bonjour runs on. We checked a machine we have access to and ran iTunes on it with Windows 7 as its OS. It installs bonjour in the backend. Checking on the command prompt with 'netsh int ip show joins,' that machine is requesting to join. The mystery may well be solved now...

The difficulties here were: bonjour is not very well document on the web; this group does not build the shared multicast tree as other software does.

Any way, thank you everyone for their feedback. Feel free to contribute on any more insights. This is just an initial educated guess.

Regards,

Jeffry J.Handal, SMIEEE, MSEE, PE
Manager, Network Engineering and Architecture
Univeristy Networking and Infrastructure
Louisiana State University
Office: (225)578-1966
Fax: (225)578-6400