wg-multicast - Re: public multicast directory?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: public multicast directory?

  • From: "Curtis, Bruce" <>
  • To: "<>" <>
  • Cc: Tim Peiffer <>, "<>" <>
  • Subject: Re: public multicast directory?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:27:09 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

On Apr 18, 2013, at 12:18 PM, Bill Owens

> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:58:00AM -0500, Tim Peiffer wrote:
>> I am interested in getting a directory of public multicast groups,
>> kind of like what you would get on a TV-Guide. My Google-Foo is
>> failing me on this topic.
>> Does such a directory exist anywhere?
>
> You're asking the wrong question; you should say, "Does such a directory
> exist any more?" There used to be several places to look for active
> multicast streams, but AFAIK they're all offline now. That's matched by the
> decline in active multicast sources; very few are still online.
>
> You can always fire up VLC and watch SAP announcements, though I just
> checked that list and only found two live streams (NRC 1 and 2). Much of
> what gets into the global SAP list is actually leaking out from campuses;
> the groups themselves are admin-scoped and aren't visible, but the
> announcements propagate globally.
>
> Bill.

My SAP list seems to have shrunk since yesterday. Today I have tested
Monoskop and EEZA Live.

Usually I have a window open for the camera from the University of Bergen
but that disappeared from my SAP list.

My connectivity was fine on the JANET beacon yesterday but looks bad today.

http://beacon.ja.net/cgi-bin/m4

This web page still has a list of some streams. I've got to run to a
meeting so I haven't tested any of the listed streams yet.

http://iptv.grnet.gr/multicast/net_channels_in_en.php

---
Bruce Curtis

Certified NetAnalyst II 701-231-8527