wg-multicast - Re: public multicast directory?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: public multicast directory?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Tim Peiffer <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: public multicast directory?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 13:18:53 -0400

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:58:00AM -0500, Tim Peiffer wrote:
> I am interested in getting a directory of public multicast groups,
> kind of like what you would get on a TV-Guide. My Google-Foo is
> failing me on this topic.
> Does such a directory exist anywhere?

You're asking the wrong question; you should say, "Does such a directory
exist any more?" There used to be several places to look for active multicast
streams, but AFAIK they're all offline now. That's matched by the decline in
active multicast sources; very few are still online.

You can always fire up VLC and watch SAP announcements, though I just checked
that list and only found two live streams (NRC 1 and 2). Much of what gets
into the global SAP list is actually leaking out from campuses; the groups
themselves are admin-scoped and aren't visible, but the announcements
propagate globally.

Bill.