wg-multicast - Re: multicast beacon(s)?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast beacon(s)?

  • From: "Buraglio, Nicholas D" <>
  • To: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: multicast beacon(s)?
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:34:25 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Would it be beneficial to recycle the original v4 multicast group NCSA
provided for the NLANR beacon? We had taken the original beacon offline a
while back with the understanding that another entity was going to take it
over, but I don't think it ever happened.
Our loose plan was to volunteer to do a dbeacon implementation and announce
it as a central service on the same addresses but that fizzled out, too. Is
there interest in running a dbeacon service on the old addresses? Even
though dbeacon also isn't really supported anymore (last I looked), it was a
bit of a feature improvement over the nlanr beacon, in my opinion, it just
lacked the centralization that the nlanr beacon provided. Thoughts?

nb

---
Nick Buraglio
Senior Network Engineer
University of Illinois NCSA / CITES / ICCN
GPG key 0x2E5B44F4
P: 217.689.4254