wg-multicast - Re: multicast beacon(s)?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast beacon(s)?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To: Matthew J Zekauskas <>
  • Cc: , Phil Dykstra <>, Terry Jones <>
  • Subject: Re: multicast beacon(s)?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:41:32 -0500

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 02:25:29PM -0500, Bill Owens wrote:
> I expect you're talking about IPv4, but for v6 there are still a few of us
> die-hards running dbeacon.

One thing I should point out - we're using an ASM group for IPv6
(ff1e::1:f00d:beac) which means that we need a single RP that we can all
agree on - there's no MSDP in IPv6, of course. Currently that RP is the one
maintained by RENATER, and while it works for this purpose its continued
existence is by no means guaranteed. Neither would it be wise to rely on it
for any production application. Since IPv6 SSM hasn't exactly caught fire,
embedded-RP is probably the right answer. And it would be possible to run a
set of dbeacon servers with an embedded-RP group if someone were to volunteer
their RP. But of course it should be the same RP that's being used by the
production traffic, and that will likely be different for each application.
At one time there was some discussion of trying to find ways around this, as
far as I know nobody has come up with a solution.

BTW, all of this assumes that there is a use for interdomain IPv6 multicast,
and frankly I'm quite skeptical of that assertion. Apart from running
dbeacon, of course ;)

Bill.