wg-multicast - Re: multicast beacon(s)?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: multicast beacon(s)?

  • From: "William F. Maton Sotomayor" <>
  • To: Matthew J Zekauskas <>
  • Cc: , Phil Dykstra <>, Terry Jones <>
  • Subject: Re: multicast beacon(s)?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:52:46 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Matthew J Zekauskas wrote:

Phil Dykstra asked me about multicast beacons, and I thought I'd forward the question here.

In particular, are networks still running them (I don't think there is one on the Internet2 Network currently), and if so what do they use, since existing code bases are not supported (AFAIK).

I volunteered a server for this at ks2.nrc.ca, provided folks run a reasonable version of the NLANR beacon, (IPv$), namely v 1.3 which can be had from Sourceforge. Ah, my browser is still showing the web page for that central server:

http://k2.nrc.ca/beacon/local_loss.html

It's conected via the CANARIE network here in Canada, but can be reached through Internet2.

wfms