wg-multicast - Re: AMT questions

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: AMT questions

  • From: "Curtis, Bruce" <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Cc: Zenon Mousmoulas <>
  • Subject: Re: AMT questions
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:43:54 -0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

On Mar 9, 2011, at 3:25 AM, Zenon Mousmoulas wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> thanks for relaying this information. In the tech note mentioned below, the
> last figure shows that Octoshape relies on AMT-enabled routers, while the
> following text implies that Octoshape client itself performs the AMT
> gateway function:

The AMT-enabled router in the diagram is on the network that doesn't have
multicast enabled on the last mile (to the customer computer). So AMT on the
customer computer talks to an AMT relay (which in the diagram is the router
providing the AMT relay function) and the router talks native multicast to
the world.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos10.3/topics/concept/amt-operation.html

> [...] The Octoshape client in the background attempts to tune into this SSM
> address and immediately finds it unavailable since it is not connected to
> the native multicast domain. The Octoshape client then sends an Anycast
> request out to find the closest AMT relay, if available. The closest relay
> responds to the request, and tunnels to the native multicast domain to pull
> one copy of the stream into the AMT relay.
>
> I tried to test this by looking for AMT (2268/udp) traffic while playing a
> stream on the multicast showcase web page. Dissecting this traffic verified
> the latter scenario:
>
> No. Time Source Destination Protocol
> Info
> 1 0.000000 83.212.9.91 12.54.128.89 AMT
> Relay Discovery Message
> 2 0.205031 12.54.128.89 83.212.9.91 AMT
> Relay Advertisement Message
> 3 0.205714 83.212.9.91 12.91.38.34 AMT
> Request Message
> 4 0.405267 12.91.38.34 224.0.0.1 IGMP V3
> Membership Query, general
> 5 0.406059 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 IGMP V3
> Membership Report / Join group 232.27.106.225 for sources in
> {12.236.227.105, 32.97.116.119}
> 6 0.753810 12.236.227.105 232.27.106.225 UDP
> Source port: 8247 Destination port: 8250
> 7 0.788894 12.236.227.105 232.27.106.225 UDP
> Source port: 8247 Destination port: 8250
> 8 0.930350 12.236.227.105 232.27.106.225 UDP
> Source port: 8247 Destination port: 8250
> 9 0.962414 32.97.116.119 232.27.106.225 UDP
> Source port: 8247 Destination port: 8250
> 10 1.007251 32.97.116.119 232.27.106.225 UDP
> Source port: 8247 Destination port: 8250
>

> While searching for an AMT dissector, I stumbled across another lightweight
> AMT gateway implementation in Java:
>
> http://sites.google.com/site/amtproxy/
>
> Quite interesting, although it didn't work for me (something went wrong for
> the sdp parser library, perhaps it didn't understand source-filter
> attributes).
>
> Best regards,
> Z.

---