wg-multicast - RE: AMT questions

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: AMT questions

  • From: "Zenon Mousmoulas" <>
  • To: "Richard Machida" <>, "wg-multicast" <>
  • Subject: RE: AMT questions
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 11:25:25 +0200

Hi Richard,

thanks for relaying this information. In the tech note mentioned below, the
last figure shows that Octoshape relies on AMT-enabled routers, while the
following text implies that Octoshape client itself performs the AMT gateway
function:

[...] The Octoshape client in the background attempts to tune into this SSM
address and immediately finds it unavailable since it is not connected to the
native multicast domain. The Octoshape client then sends an Anycast request
out to find the closest AMT relay, if available. The closest relay responds
to the request, and tunnels to the native multicast domain to pull one copy
of the stream into the AMT relay.

I tried to test this by looking for AMT (2268/udp) traffic while playing a
stream on the multicast showcase web page. Dissecting this traffic verified
the latter scenario:

No. Time Source Destination Protocol Info
1 0.000000 83.212.9.91 12.54.128.89 AMT
Relay Discovery Message
2 0.205031 12.54.128.89 83.212.9.91 AMT
Relay Advertisement Message
3 0.205714 83.212.9.91 12.91.38.34 AMT
Request Message
4 0.405267 12.91.38.34 224.0.0.1 IGMP V3
Membership Query, general
5 0.406059 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 IGMP V3
Membership Report / Join group 232.27.106.225 for sources in {12.236.227.105,
32.97.116.119}
6 0.753810 12.236.227.105 232.27.106.225 UDP
Source port: 8247 Destination port: 8250
7 0.788894 12.236.227.105 232.27.106.225 UDP
Source port: 8247 Destination port: 8250
8 0.930350 12.236.227.105 232.27.106.225 UDP
Source port: 8247 Destination port: 8250
9 0.962414 32.97.116.119 232.27.106.225 UDP
Source port: 8247 Destination port: 8250
10 1.007251 32.97.116.119 232.27.106.225 UDP
Source port: 8247 Destination port: 8250

While searching for an AMT dissector, I stumbled across another lightweight
AMT gateway implementation in Java:

http://sites.google.com/site/amtproxy/

Quite interesting, although it didn't work for me (something went wrong for
the sdp parser library, perhaps it didn't understand source-filter
attributes).

Best regards,
Z.