wg-multicast - Re: BCP for best placement of RP's

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: BCP for best placement of RP's

  • From: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • To: Laura Kristoff <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: BCP for best placement of RP's
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 11:23:35 -0800

Most important thing about RP placement is probably just being able to
handle the MSDP state and ensuring you have enough Anycast RPs to
guarantee at least one is up at all times. Having an RP in a
well-connected, centrally-located place is always nice, but as you point
out the RPT is usually very short-lived (typically only a few packets), so
it's probably not the worst thing in the world if you aren't able to put
it in the core.

One thing to also consider is that MSDP is a very dangerous protocol. SA
throttling knobs have dramatically decreased the risks of SA storms, but
there is still a good amount of risk inherent to MSDP. So many folks view
MSDP as a protocol that they want to deploy on as few routers as necessary
to deliver service.

-Lenny