wg-multicast - Re: BCP for best placement of RP's

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: BCP for best placement of RP's

  • From: David Farmer <>
  • To: Laura Kristoff <>
  • Cc: , David Farmer <>
  • Subject: Re: BCP for best placement of RP's
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:43:13 -0600

This depends a lot on the details of the architecture of your network and other things like a router's normal processor load. Border Routers, Route Reflectors, Core or Backbone Routers all seem like logical candidates. Edge or Leaf routers are probably not good candidates.

An example, because of our use of VRFs the only real option for us is our Border Routers, this is necessary to facilitate Multicast between our VRFs.

Laura Kristoff wrote:
Wondering if anyone has any advice on the best place to locate RP's. We are currently using our core routers but
are considering moving them to our route reflectors. We
are using anycast RP for both locally scoped groups and
global groups but different routers for local vs global.

The SPT seems to get built pretty quickly so not sure
what requirements we need beyond MSDP (for anycast RP)
and PIM and some amount of CPU.

--Laura

David Farmer
Email:
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 Cell: 612-812-9952