wg-multicast - Re: Quick MBGP Prefix Survey...

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Quick MBGP Prefix Survey...

  • From: Ryan Harden <>
  • To: wg-multicast List <>
  • Subject: Re: Quick MBGP Prefix Survey...
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 08:44:35 -0600

My closest neighbor over at NCSA pointed out that I'm actually
describing the problem backwards. As the Beacon Page indicates I'm
actually being seen quite well by a large number of beacons out there,
but I'm only receiving a handful.

I'm still guessing this is due to the fact that the /23 is in everyone's
Unicast table and absent in the Multicast table.

Luckily we're doing some rearranging of our Internet2/NLR peering so the
ICCN will be directly connected and announce it's /23 (as well as what
it hears from UIUC, etc). I'm betting this will fix up the
unidirectional problem I'm seeing.

/Ryan

Ryan Harden wrote:
> Please reply off list if possible to not clutter everyone's mailing list.
>
> Background: UIUC/Illinois (ASN38) owns a handful of prefixes. All are
> multicast enabled and advertised via MBGP to all peers that will take
> it. The University of Illinois sanctioned the ICCN (ASN40387). ARIN
> refused the ICCN it's own IPv4 space because UIUC/Illinois had not shown
> to be fully utilizing its current IPv4 space. (We had just received a
> new /18 a few months before). No matter how much begging and pleading, I
> couldn't convince them that these are completely separate networks that
> just so happen to be owned/maintained by the same people.
>
> Anyway, the ICCN is numbered out of existing UIUC/Illinois space.
> 72.36.126.0/23 out of 72.36.64.0/18.
>
> I have a feeling this is causing MBGP issues for the ICCN. UIUC/Illinois
> peers directly with I2 and NLR, announcing all of its prefixes. The ICCN
> peers directly with a dozen R&E Institutions and growing. It announces
> 72.36.126.0/23 as well as the prefixes it learned from UIUC/Illinois.
>
> Looking at the global beacon page: beacon.dast.nlanr.net Almost everyone
> sees UIUC/Illinois (faranth.ci.uiuc.edu) and only a few see
> bbmon710-1.ix.ui-iccn.org). The ones that do all happen to be connected
> through ESNet which is directly peered to the ICCN.
>
> My guess is there is an RPF or similar issue due to filters or something
> allowing the full 72.36.64.0/18 prefix, but no the more specific
> 72.36.126.0/23.
>
> That said. Would some of you be so kind to send me a note whether or not
> you see 72.36.126.0/23 and 72.36.64.0/18 in your MBGP table and provide
> an AS_PATH?
>
> Once I get details that either confirm or deny my suspicions, I'll post
> an update to the list.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> /Ryan

- --
Ryan M. Harden, BS, KC9IHX Office: 217-265-5192
CITES - Network Engineering Cell: 630-363-0365
2130 Digital Computer Lab Fax: 217-244-7089
1304 W. Springfield email:

Urbana, IL 61801

University of Illinois - ICCN