wg-multicast - Re: Script to Count Clients Watching Multicast MPEG2 Stream

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Script to Count Clients Watching Multicast MPEG2 Stream

  • From: Alan Crosswell <>
  • To: "Julian Y. Koh" <>
  • Cc: "<>" <>
  • Subject: Re: Script to Count Clients Watching Multicast MPEG2 Stream
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:57:34 -0500

The stats from routers will miss all but the first joiner on a subnet with IGMPv2. In the case of, for example, a dorm this could significantly undercount.

I believe that IGMPv3 will track all the members. If you are able to run v3 (modern IGMPv3 snooping switches) then you might as well use SSM too:-)
/a