wg-multicast - Re: DVMRP tunnel experiments

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: DVMRP tunnel experiments

  • From: Michael Grigoni <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: DVMRP tunnel experiments
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:10:28 -0600

Hitoshi Asaeda wrote:

> Comments for kernel to support PIM.
> At first, please check sys/netinet/ip_mroute.c. If your ip_mroute.c
> includes the comment on its top, such as "PIM-SMv2 and PIM-DM
> support", then your kernel would be ready for enabling PIM.

I will need to patch my kernel (obsd 3.2, sparc) as I cannot upgrade
due to hardware constraints and the mix of inhouse applications
that depend on that kernel.

<snip>

Just an update and hopefully not too premature; I backported PIM support
into the 3.2 kernel from commits dated around Aug. 2004 (to 3.6). The
new kernel is booted and running and seems to be stable with 'mrouted'
running (routing multicast on the local phyints); I haven't tried a
'pimd' or 'pimdd' yet today.

If you need old *BSD, I may suggest you try KAME (http://www.kame.net).
However, OpenBSD supported by KAME was 3.6 or older, and it does not
support PIM over IPv4 (while PIM over IPv6 is supported with OBSD3.6).
Only FreeBSD 5.4 supports PIM for both IPv4/v6 in KAME.

In my case I need IPv4 PIM so I hope the patched kernel works ;)

Michael