wg-multicast - Re: miniSAP server storms

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: miniSAP server storms

  • From: Leonard Giuliano <>
  • To: Hitoshi Asaeda <>
  • Cc: ,
  • Subject: Re: miniSAP server storms
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:21:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Hitoshi Asaeda wrote:

-) >
-) > In any event, if we can rely on Google to find unicast content, I see no
-) > reason why we couldn't rely on it to find mcast content.
-)
-) Because multicast applications and services are more "dynamic".
-) It is in general difficult for such web crawling to look for all
-) available live streaming contents over the entire Internet within a
-) very short period (e.g. 1 min or so). (SAP can do for this point.)

Perhaps, but I suspect the vast majority of mcast streams will be fairly
persistent, rather than ephemeral.

-) In addition, IP multicast needs to define and control "scope", while a
-) search engine that relies on a central (or logically central) server
-) cannot.

I've never been convinced that scoping is/should be as complicated as how
it's been made out to be. It's really no different than the
Intranet/Internet distintions that most organizations have always dealt
with in unicast.