wg-multicast - Re: miniSAP server storms

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: miniSAP server storms

  • From: Hitoshi Asaeda <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: miniSAP server storms
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 02:24:44 +0900 (JST)

Hi Marshall,

Unfortunately, SAP is not suitable for session announcement *over a
large interdomain network* according to its protocol design. It is
based on soft-state approach. As DVMRP was diminished, its mission
would be probably when the native multicast networks are largely
enabled over the Internet.

I'll submit an individual I-D to mboned next week, where the issues
and limitations of SAP are clarified and the requirements for the
session announcement schema over the Internet are descrived.

In addition, as Stig pointed out, we have been working for a new
session announcement system called Channel Reflector. It does not
inherit SAP-like soft-state approach but is conformed with distributed
agents. The alpha version will be released at the end of this August.
I hope it will fulfill the demand of session announcement.

Regards,
--
Hitoshi Asaeda