wg-multicast - Re: Potential Multicast Audience

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Potential Multicast Audience

  • From: Tim Chown <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Potential Multicast Audience
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 14:11:06 +0100

Well, companies like INUK are relying on multicast support in campuses
(in particular Halls networks) here in the UK for their IPTV services.

Yes the JANET core and regional networks are pretty much all there.
Support in campuses is varied however.

I believe INUK's model is that they offer

a) Free-to-air channels
b) Pay channels (10GBP/mo)
c) VoD (unicast), where universities can supply VoD content

I assume they then hope the students who use their IPTV services
in Halls (http://www.freewiretv.com/) at a cheap rate subscribe to their
residential broadband service when they graduate.

How much of the residential service uses multicast, if any, I don't know.

Tim

--
Tim