wg-multicast - Filtering IANA Reserved Group Addresses

Subject: All things related to multicast

Filtering IANA Reserved Group Addresses

  • From: Matthew Davy <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Filtering IANA Reserved Group Addresses
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:33:44 -0500

I'm going to jump back on my soapbox about filtering the IANA Reserved multicast group addresses (ie 225/8-231/8 and 234/8-238/8) at all inter-domain borders.

Today we had another round of MSDP instability caused by a single host scanning the entire 224/4 address space. The vast majority of this address space is IANA Reserved address space that should not be routed inter-domain any more than unicast IANA Reserved addresses. Also, 232/8 is set aside for SSM and 239/8 is "private" address space so you should never see MSDP SAs for groups in these blocks either. That leaves just 224/8 and 233/8 to be used for inter-domain ASM. Therefore these are the only address blocks that are legitimate group addresses for MSDP SAs.

If you are responsible for multicast on a campus, statewide or regional network, I encourage you to update your MSDP SA filters to only permit SAs with group addresses in the 224/8 and 233/8 address ranges. I think this filter should also be implemented on the Internet2 backbone.

You may ask why we don't just go do this, if this is obviously the right thing to do ? Well, I just looked and it appears there are a few dozen group addresses in these IANA Reserved ranges that are in active use. I'm basing this on the fact that there are 2 or more active sources from different organizations for these groups. As you might expect, the groups are typically along the lines of 226.1.2.3 and 225.3.4.5. So by implementing this, we will likely break some applications, but I think the long-term benefits to the stability of multicast would be significant.

- Matt

Matt Davy
Chief Network Architect, Indiana University

/ 812.855.7728