wg-multicast - Re: VLC + Vista Multicast Issues

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: VLC + Vista Multicast Issues

  • From: Bob Riddle <>
  • To: Nicholas J Humfrey <>
  • Cc: Stig Venaas <>, wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: VLC + Vista Multicast Issues
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 08:14:28 -0400

The problem I experienced when WinXP only supported IGMPv3 involved an edge router that supported IGMPv3 and a switch that did not support IGMPv3. This allowed the WinXP machine to "join" the multicast stream but the switch threw away all the "keep-alive" messages from the router. As long as you only needed to watch a few minutes of the multicast stream, everything worked fine :-) .

When I set up a linux machine using IGMPv2 to listen to the stream on that switch, it "kept alive" the stream. Lots of weird debugging involved, so good luck!

Stig Venaas wrote:
Nicholas J Humfrey wrote:
Yes, I wasn't expecting this behaviour, but it certainly seems to happen. Could this be a known Cisco bug? Does it keep group membership state in a single table or multiple tables for each IGMP version?

At least I haven't seen any such issues with Cisco. Rather than guessing
where the bug might be, try to do some debugging. First thing I would do
is tcpdump/wireshark to see which IGMP messages each of the hosts
receive and send, also check the IGMP state on the router for the
relevant groups, and if possible the IGMP state on the host for that
group. I don't know how much info you can get out of Mac OS X and
Vista...

Stig

--
Bob Riddle (bdr @ umich.edu) Enabling Technologies
University of Michigan Medical School 1301 Catherine Street

"Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 people"